Christopher's experiences continued.

Christopher W Stupples continued

second ambulance on the scene that night but it appears my story had credibility and
nothing more was heard - I do not know if the other attendant had any come back later.

The planning for typhoons was also high on the agenda. We had two whilst I was at Ward 9, which resulted in night vigils just in case of damage and/or danger to patients. In both cases everything passed peacefully. Earthquakes were another source of concern. On two occasions I experienced them, the one whilst a patient on Ward 3 was the most memorable. The ward on the third floor really swayed about a bit!

There were often visiting concert parties. The most vivid was one with Jon Pertwee and Bill Maynard. They had us falling about with laughter. The musicians and amateur thespians amongst us also put on two concert parties. I think they were reasonably well received but most of all we had fun putting them on.

Tenno Barracks closed in June (?), 1954 and we moved to the spare wards at BCGH. These were very comfortable compared with the previous accommodation. The two Christmases I had in Kure were very good in that we were served all day by Sergeants and above.

Apart from the Summer Camp mentioned above, I also visited Ebisu Camp for R&R leave. It was an excellent spot to enjoy Tokyo and I relished the tours, which we had from time to time.

Towards the end of my time I had another spell in hospital with PUO (pyrexia of unknown origin) and was in for eight days under going tests. No diagnosis was ever made and it remains a mystery to this day.

My job in the hospital (as Special Treatment Orderly Class 3 – though I had passed for Class 2) was the initial investigation of venereal disease. We were, as a result of the cease-fire, the busiest section in the whole set up. When anyone was referred to the Ward the Clerk took their details and then the patient passed to me for testing. This was mainly preparing smears and reading off the results under a microscope. My report then went to the Medical Officer who prescribed treatment accordingly. I was also heavily involved in giving treatments. With a one and a quarter inch hypodermic needle I was in my element and I must have injected buckets of penicillin in my time. I also assisted with minor operations from time to time. Occasionally however some had to go to the main theatre (a place you know well).

I was roped in, via the Church, to ‘call’ for English Country Dancing at the local YMCA/YWCA as an exercise in teaching others our ways. We in turn learnt about Japanese dancing and I probably knew more about the local dances in the end than I did of the English variety. It was nevertheless interesting and good fun.

Continued on page 14